Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Boss of Reading

When you become a parent I am not sure you are prepared for how proud you feel about your child's accomplishments and growth and development.  Every little milestone is such a source of joy.  I have to say that out of all the wonderful moments I have had watching Addy grow, develop and learn nothing has been sweeter then watching her love of reading develop.  In the last year she has taken off with her reading.  At night after we tuck her in she reads in bed and tonight while we were doing chores and hanging out, she grabbed a book and curled up to read. 


Addy has a ton of books - we rarely seem to make it to the library these days and so we buy a lot of books at the store.  And I don't feel bad about that.  I am okay with breaking the piggy bank on books.  She has pretty much fully transitioned to chapter books and has a wide range of interests.   She'll bring a book along in the car and read outloud for us sometimes.  I love to sit in my room and listen to her read to herself through the monitor.


I love to read.  In fact it might be just about the best thing ever.  I am so thrilled to share this love with Addy.  I can't wait to share the loads of great books out there with her as she grows.

I was telling Addy the other day what a great comfort reading can be to me.  She tells me, "you should read more and not boss me".  She is really hoping the day will come when she doesn't get bossed anymore.  I keep trying to explain to her that she'll be waiting a long time and that Mommy and Daddy get bossed plenty.  She says "yeah, you boss Daddy and Charlotte and Biscuit and the house."  Hmmmmmmm . . . the house?  Perhaps my muttering as I am doing the chores is a little bit bossy.   I told her that the more she reads the more she'll learn and then she can boss others.  No wonder she's reading up a storm.