Thursday, December 01, 2011

Reflections

As we head into December I am reminded again how wonderful this season is and how good it is to stop during the busy time and reflect on what we have.  A wonderful life . . . truly.  A new baby to celebrate with, our health and family and friends.

Addy is a delight balancing between still being a little one and transitioning to a big girl.  There are moments of soft cuddles, instinctive reflexes for protection from mommy and daddy, and simple joys at a silly face or her sisters smile.  Then there are the expanding vocabulary, the reading development and the attitude of a transitioning child into her own person.  These contradictions are there every day and every night.  It is amazing to watch and it keeps us in wonder all the time.  Sometimes I want to cry tears of joy, sometimes pull my hair out and sometimes I have to just pause and take it all in.  addy is taking swim lessons again and she is coming along so well.  She adores her new swim teacher and her progress has been tremendous in three short weeks.  Addy's writing and reading is growing in leaps and bounds.  She is curious about everything and is very concerned that she might have to have only one job.  Currently she wants to be a doctor, work at the circus and be a fashion designer.  Love it!  Addy has been moody lately and there are moments that my patience is tested, other times we have the most wonderful shared moments.  The last two weeks have been particularly rewarding for me.  During much of the end of my pregnancy and the first weeks of my c-section recovery I felt disconnected from Addy as I couldn't do a lot with her and Scott took on a more one on one role with her.  He is amazing and their bond is so tight.  But I am thankful that I've been able to be more attentive to Addy and we've even had the opportunity to get away for some one on one time.  This weekend I am hoping to go out on a real Addy and Mommy date.  Addy is still uber creative and loves nothing more to stay at home and cut, paste, tape and draw the most creative things.  Her latest creations (all out of construction paper) are a camera complete with pictures that come out, nutcracker cookies she gives out as presents and a rocket booster pack for her back.  We've gotten out all the Christmas movies and this year she remembers them all and is very excited to start the process of rewatching them.  She watched Home Alone for the first time and now counts that as one of her favorites.

Charlotte bear is doing so well.  She just had her two month check up and got a good report.  She is smiling and trying hard to work up to a giggle.  She has just transitioned to larger bottles and is growing every day.  Her little short hairs on top of her head have just grown enough to make for a soft downey covering.  I love to rub my cheek against her head.  She still has her old man longer hair around her head in the back - and it makes me laugh.  She enjoys watching her sister Addy and any time Addy comes around there are bound to be smiles.  She loves to just gaze around and see what is going on.  She is discovering her hands and that she actually has some control over them now.  It is so rewarding to see her making those connections.  Charlotte has been watching each night as Addy and I decorate the house and the tree, offering a few smiles and coos along the way.  This week we started some naps in her crib and she looks absolutely adorable in there.  Sometimes I can't tear myself away from the doorway.  Her nickname Charlie hasn't really stuck yet, we mostly call her Charlotte or stinks. :)  Addy does not approve of stinks and gets mad when she hears me calling her sister that.  And that makes me double smile. :) :)

I am on a mission this weekend to get Charlotte's two month bear pciture and a christmas card picture.  We shall see how both my girls cooperate. :)