Sunday, September 09, 2012

Kindergarten




It came and went and we all survived.  Addy's first day of kindergarten.  It was exciting, nerve-wracking, emotional, cute and everything else all rolled into one big ball of  . . . something.

Addy was adorable and she was a trooper.  There was a moment that I thought she was going to lose it - a tear or two, and some clinging.  My heart hurt for her, and I started to worry I wasn't going to make it out myself.  It wasn't the tears.  I've seen those before and I know they dry up the second I leave.  I was hugging her to me with her back pressed against me.  I had my hand resting on her chest and I could feel her little heart beating out of her chest.  She was scared.  My knees got weak at one point because I was scared for her.  We were champs.  I smiled and laughed with the other parents - all of us pretending we weren't nervous and dying a little inside.  All the little ones were so sweet, sitting down in their kindergarten seats for the first time.




In Addy's last attempt to cling we got away by saying we'd call and check on her every 15 minutes.  (Which of course later she outed us on noting that her teacher's phone didn't ring once and so she knew we didn't call.  When did she get to smart to trick?)

The day went on and all during bargaining I kept wondering what they were doing now, how she was doing, what she was feeling????  And finally the end of the day came and all of us nervous parents met up again in the hall and welcomed our little ones back into our arms with excitement, joy and hope that the day went well.  The emotion in that hall was literally breathtaking.  There are many moments when you can relate so well to other parents and for me I will be forever bonded to these other parents for that simple moment we shared. 

Addy had a wonderful day!  She was so excited!!  It was so lovely to breath in a sigh of relief as she told us all about her great day - and how much she was looking forward to going back.  Even a terrible cold didn't keep her down last week.

This whole week was amazing in so many ways.  Meeting new families, reconnecting with friends, but nothing was more special then realizing this new chapter is going to allow us to spend more time with my oldest and dearest friend.  30 years ago we stared kindergarten together and now here we are with our girls.



Feeling blessed for this opportunity and new chapter in our lives.  Meanwhile, Charlotte moved up to her new rool and has come home with 4 injury reports because she is the fearless adventurer checking out her new room!  She is loving it.