Sunday, August 09, 2009

YOTG #4

So, already I am reflecting on things I will do differently in the future.

1. No more Gerber daisies (or at least not in pots in the hottest sun). The basics look good and last.

2. Herbs need additional water and attention beyond the rest of the plants. Except chives. I have a lot. A. LOT. Everything else died even before the really hot week hit. Move the herbs to a cooler place and baby them.

3. Even my never fail petunia's have a limit - and 106 degrees is it. Even with two waterings a day that week, they are still looking sad. Move things out of the sun if it going to be that hot.

I have a couple of big projects left for the remainder of the summer, before phase two hits. (Phase two is don't assume your yard magically disappears just before September hits. Actually revitalize it for fall and enjoy it.)

1. Clean up the rock garden.
2. Pull out the dead shrubs. (I am scared of this, it sounds hard.)

Finally, I was wondering why even though I am working more in the yard it doesn't look close to amazing. One reason is because I am not watering the grass enough to be amazing this year. (Is the money worth it?) And two, Biscuit destruction reigns supreme. Check out what our door step looks like all the time. Leaves, rocks, sticks, bugs, animal guts (when we are very unlucky).


But, on a very positive note, I was very scared to plant a ton of bulbs and have them do nothing. They worked . .. all over the yard we have these lovelies to gaze at!!