Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Concert

I am going out of order for this post.  This is for one very simple reason.  Next up is a post all about our awesome 2 week vacation.  I am excited to post about it, but the last day of the trip was a day of tragedy for all of us and I haven't felt like posting about the trip.  We flew home the day after the shootings and honestly I was struggling with coming home and trying to capture the holiday spirit.  In fact, I felt bad about feeling happy about anything.  And as I held my kindergartener close I struggled . . . with everything.

We went back to work and school on Monday.  Scott took Addy and I am thankful for that because I was worried I would be too emotional.  Yup.  I was.  I cried all the way to work and had to call Scott and get an update sitting in the bathroom at work because I was tearful.  And I was worried, Monday night was Addy's Christmas concert.  I was still having a hard time feeling in the spirit and also asking myself how its okay to "celebrate" anything?  Not sure if anyone else had that same experience or not, but it was hard to sort out in my mind how I should move forward.

Addy was so very excited.  New dress, all fancy and frilly!  All her friends and family around her.  So we headed out to the concert.

We arrived and all the children were so excited and animated.  Kids running everywhere, all dressed up, smiling and laughing.  It was a beautiful scene.  And heartbreaking . . . the classes gathered together and I went over to visit with Addy and her class.   A beautiful class of kindergarteners.  Look at these faces.



I felt joy and I felt pain all at the same time.  When the program started Principal Graham opened with an acknowledgement of the mourning and grief for the shootings.  Along with his prayer he said something that helped me a lot.  He said we should celebrate life and that was part of this concert.  It gave me hope and provided me with just the right perspective I needed.  It was a great concert.  Our friends and family joined us and Addy was wonderful.  All the children were awesome!

Addy is on the far left in the red.  I didn't get great photos, but I don't care.  I got something else . . . a special time with those most important to me and some help in trying to work through my own struggles with this tragedy.