Thursday, June 02, 2011

She has a name

We had decided on the name Addison long before we even knew we were having a girl.  If I remember it was within a week or two of finding out we were going to have a baby.  It was an easy choice that we agreed to immediately.  We were a bit nervous because we didn't have any boy names.  It was a girl - and therefore she immediately became Addison. 

This time around we didn't even talk about names until we found out the gender.  Immediately we realized our girls name lists didn't match up.  (Lets be clear, not that big of a deal, since in this household the person that carries and births the child is the final decision maker.  Oh yeah, that is me. Lucky me. )  But of course we wanted to decide on a name that we could all live with. 

Addy's name was Sally . . . she's never waivered.  Even though we have a name and she's approved it, she's decided the baby's nickname for her will be Sally.  Sounds like a plan to me!

I quickly laid out my very important name philosophy points in order to establish the important factors.   It is so fun to hear how other people decide.  I love to hear them all, the fun, traditional, new age . . . I really love all names.  I just am weird about the criteria for my own name selection process.

Here are the three most important ones:

1) Must be presidential (I stand by my comment that a girl named Gidget isn't going to be voted President.  Don't get me wrong, I am not saying my child should be president, but darn it I am not going to break her dream because of a name I picked out). 
2) No backseat cheerleader names.  You know the kind I mean, they are cute, but they could result in a less then desirable outcome of being seen as stupid or cheap. 
3) It must go with Addison.  Pretty simple, but effective in ruling out many options.  Some of my favorites got ruled out because of this.

(And there are about 5 others that I won't bore you with since they made Scott roll his eyes.)

And this is all really just a cover for my real name issue . . . I am obsessed with old, traditional names.  Give me a Harriet, Margaret, Betsy any day.  All names on my list that Scott crossed out by the way.

My very favorite name ever is what we decided on.  Scott took a little convincing, but after trying it out for a week or so, it won him over.  (Of course it did, it is a great name.)

To me it is sweet, traditional, old-fashioned and most importantly for me a strong and confident name.

Charlotte Leila is the name we have chosen for our daughter.  I couldn't be happier with our choice.  She has been Charlotte to me for a while.  Leila is my mom's name.  I can't think of a better middle name then the name of the most strong and worthy woman I know.  (It is pronounced Lee - I - la)  She would be a lucky girl to grow up to be a woman like my Mom.

Now that we have a name we need to get started on all the other things we need to get ready.  Wow, the list is pretty long!