Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Year of the Gardener #1


I am going to try to label my specific posts related to my resolution for this year - year of the gardener (YOTG). We finally got a break from the cold, rain, snow, etc. And I kicked off the YOTG with a bang . . . actually a groan when the weekend was done.




We did shearing, trimming, cutting, pruning, tearing, pulling and all other very physical things you have to do to get the yard in shape. Wow, wishing I was in shape - it was brutal. But, the foundation is ready to do much more fun things in the weeks and months ahead.

Addy was a trooper all weekend and made mud puddles to jump in and broke in her new boots.


After a year of my secret garden being a habitat for stray bunnies (all have left now) and overgrown climbing roses and wisteria, we got it all cut back. And look who was waiting for me! I heart gargoyles. Meet Frank and Floyd.



Aren't they so Buffy? Do you see a theme here? Oh, and by the way, since at least one person wants to hear more about Buffy, (Brandy - I knew we were meant to be sisters!) Entertainment Weekly just published their top heroes of all time and Buffy Summers was number 8 on the list out of like 25. And, on the reader poll she was number 3! Woot!

Okay, YOTG tip number 1 - believe all the terrible things you hear about wisteria and climbing roses. Heed the warnings and really ask yourself are they worth the trouble? I say perhaps, if you are diligent with your pruning and managing.

Butterfly bushes are a noxious weed - it is true!! I really believe it now. Don't get one. Ever. Seriously.