Saturday, October 18, 2014

Addy's Harry Potter Birthday


Are girl of joy turned 8 last week.  Addy is a true joy, she is my favorite partner in crime.  She is crazy about reading and learning random things.  She recently taught herself how to read palms and is currently memorizing the state capitals.  Last spring she memorized the preamble and first portion of the Declaration.  Just because.  She gets her wicked smarts from her Daddy and her love of all things nerdy from me.  And so of course this summer she plowed through the entire Harry Potter series and fell in love.  Awww, be still my heart.  I love this girl. 

Addy loves to be at home and be quiet.  She can wander off for hours researching or reading.  She loves to craft and currently loves to make videos.  Sports are not her thing, although she is certainly daddy's best buddy supporting our boys in blue!  We took her to her first game last weekend.    Addy is a great role model for Charlotte and has no idea just how much she is adored by that little one.  

We love this girl more then we can say, she is our creative, thoughtful, smartypants!!

Addy and I started planning her birthday this summer when she fell in love with Harry Potter.  We worked for a few months pulling it all together.  (And I might have nerded out during every minute of it.)


Follow the spiders . . .  (tell me you get the reference to the Chamber of Secrets)


Hedgwig!


My Mom made ties for each of the houses and found the matching rings.  So first up was the sorting ceremony.



My Mom's best friends in Missouri made real wooden wands for each girl - how amazing is that??????  Thank you!!  Addy and I wrapped each one and Addy labeled them with what type of wood and core was in each.


Everyone was directed to arrive at platform 9 3/4.



My Mom put together they fabulous decorations for potions.


First up, the girls were sorted into their houses.  My Mom found us a real sorting hat.  We used the baby monitor and the sorting hat sorted the girls into their houses.





And then it was time for the taste-testing.  I highly recommend you try this activity.  We laughed and gagged ourselves silly.  The girls were great sports.  We tried the less horrifying flavors during the party.




We played quittich and then it was time for the photobooth.  Addy made the sign all by herself.  Love these pics:








After the grand feast it was time for the wand ceremony.  The wand picks the wizard don't you know.  It was my job to perform all sorts of silly tests on the girls so we could determine the right wizard for each wand.  It was crazy fun!


Yup, I had to smell some feet.



I think the girls were entertained.






Our friend Shannon outdid herself with Addy's cake.  It was simply amazing!


Our daughter is blessed to have such a great group of friends and Scott and I are blessed to have great families with whom to raise our children!!




Happy birthday sweet Addy Bear - we are so proud of you as you grow and develop into an amazing person!