Sunday, January 01, 2012

Out with the Old (resolution) and in with the New (resolution)

Well it is time again to reflect on my resolution of 2011 and set my new one for 2012.  I love how as the year comes to a close things happen that make it clear what my resolution should be.  Sometimes I don't love what those things are but it helps with focus and purpose for sure. 

 

 
Last year was Year of the Happy Home Maker.  I laugh.  Honestly at the time I set this we were not even close to deciding we were having another baby - in fact far from it.  So it was going to be focused on home improvements of a general nature.  Then January 1st comes - we all of a sudden decide that perhaps another baby is right for us and . . . oh, hello - before we can settle into this decision we are pregnant.  What a blessing.  All of a sudden Year of the Happy Home Maker takes a new turn. :)

 
Even with this new direction we did a ton this year.  Many repairs and updates that were on our list and then added in all the stuff we had to do to get ready for a baby.  Sitting here at the kitchen table and looking around the house - we were able to do a lot.  Of course there are a few things still on the list, a couple of bathrooms that need updating, a utility room that needs to be cleaned out and reorganized . . .but I am going to try to get to those in the next three weeks before I return to work.  I declare a success.

My new resolution is by far the most difficult yet.  In fact it makes me cringe.  Worse, it makes me want to eat large quantities of chocolate.  I have avoided this cliche resolution for years because 1. its cliche and 2. it scares the heck out of me.  But after coming to realize this is the right one for this year I have found peace in the way I have determined to approach this.

2012 is the Year of Health and Wellness.  This is not about weight loss - although if that is a side effect of my efforts - I accept!! :)  This is more fundamental about making some small ( small is important or else I will for sure fail) chnages to create a healthier family.  I have some basic plans I want to concentrate on but I am also open to ideas and finding things that work for our family.

There are a few basics I am feeling very strongly I want to focus on:

Healthy breakfast - no more fruit snacks and starbucks.  At least not most of the time.

Family Acitivities - create opportunities at least once a week for the entire family to get out and move, this might be a trip to the park or a walk.

Helping Addy (and therefore Scott and I) learn about healthy options and consequences of not healthy options.

Stay focused on easy - don't go crazy because it won't last.  Focus on easy, simple and fast when it comes to food and exercise.

Today we kicked off with trying some homemade juice thanks to our friend Jeff, took a walk as a family and started talking to Addy about this new direction.  My biggest concern is not front loading and getting burned out with too many changes.  So, I want to concentrate on one thing at a time.  This month I am going to focus on the breakfast goal.

I feel like success at the end of the year looks like this:

  • We all eat a pretty healthy breakfast more often then not.
  • We have come up with a routine of doing something physical together as a fun activity about once a week.
  • Addy understands about eating healthy.
  • We all have a better toolbox of options and opportunities we take advantage of to be a little more healthy.

So wish me luck on this most difficult resolution.